The benefits of fenugreek seeds water is centuries old. It takes less then 5 minutes to make this magical health drink at home. Learn how to make fenugreek water with just 2 ingredients in 3 different ways.
Drinking fenugreek water also called ‘methi’ or ‘Methi dana’ in Hindi, especially on empty stomach has been a folk remedy for centuries practiced in India.
According to the Ayurvedic studies of natural health, drinking methi water in the morning helps to facilitate weight loss (although there are not many research to support this), boost metabolism, improve the digestive system and also help control blood sugar levels among the many other health benefits of fenugreek.
Grandma’s anecdotes also claim that drinking Fenugreek tea helps to increase milk production in lactating mothers.
You can easily make fenugreek water or fenugreek tea at home in under 5 minutes. In this post I will share with you how to how to make methi water in 3 different ways.
Benefits Of Fenugreek Seeds Soaked In Water
Methi dana or fenugreek seeds is a very popular and common Indian spice used in most Indian dishes.
These tiny seed spice, some refer them as herb, has in recent times been hailed by medical researchers as a miracle spice because of the associated benefits of eating methi seeds as part of your daily diet.
Below are some known benefits of fenugreek seeds soaked in water:
- Helps in acid reflux – One of the compound’s found in fenugreek seeds is known to be similar to that in antacid medications. Drinking fenugreek water on empty when suffering from acidity or acid reflux helps provide relief from the symptoms.
- May aid weight loss – Although more studies need to be done on this, it is believed that a water – soluble fibre present in in methi seeds, aids in reducing appetite by making the body feel more full, improves metabolism and burn fat faster thus helping in weight management.
- Improves lactation – New and lactating mothers can benefit from better milk production by drinking fenugreek tea any time of the day.
- Regulates blood sugar level – There have been research to indicate the benefits of drinking soaked methi seeds water for people with type 1 and 2 diabetes. The compound and fibers present in the seeds helps lower the amount of glucose present in the blood by increasing insulin secretion.
How To Make Fenugreek Water
There are two ways to make and drink fenugreek water.
- With fenugreek seeds
- With fenugreek powder
You can use both the whole seeds or powder to make fenugreek water at home. Whichever way you choose to make methi water , all you need is 2 ingredients and 5 minutes of your time.
Making it with seeds
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Room temperature water – 1 cup
- Add 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of room temperature water.
- Leave methi seeds soaked in water overnight.
- Sieve the water and drink the next morning on empty stomach for best results.
Making it with powder
- Fenugreek powder or fenugreek seeds ground into powder – 1 tsp
- Room temperature Water – 1 cup
- If you do not have ground fenugreek then you can easily grind it at home. Dry roast a teaspoon of whole fenugreek seeds for 2-3 minutes on low flame until it changes light brownish in colour.
- Grind the seeds into powder either in a mortal or pestle or in a spice grinder.
- Add a teaspoon of the powder in one cup of room temperature water, dissolve well or leave it to siak for 5 minutes, sieve it through and drink it.
How To Make Fenugreek Tea
Some people have questions on whether you can boil fenugreek seeds. And the answer to this is absolutely and without any problem.
Boiling methi dana in hot water is how to prepare fenugreek tea. It is proven to benefit lactating mothers by increasing milk production. You can also drink the tea for improving digestion.
Below is the simple way of making fenugreek water at home.
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cup
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Mint leaves – 4-5 leaves
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Bring 1 heaped teaspoon and 2 cups of water to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil until the water evaporates and reduces to just 1 cup.
- Strain and drink warm tea 2 – 3 times a day.
- NOTE – you can add ginger or mint leaves to the boiling water if you wish for added flavour. You can also add honey after you strain the water for some sweetness.
Side Effects of Fenugreek Water
Although fenugreek is considered a safe alternative treatment to overcome few health issues, it is always best to check with your doctor before you start consuming fenugreek water on a regular basis.
Excessive usage or consumption of fenugreek may lead to some of these health concerns.
How To Use Fenugreek Seeds
If you haven’t already done so I highly recommend introducing fenugreek seeds into your meals and use them as a spice.
Here are few tips on how to use fenugreek seeds in cooking and add them to your meals. I also list suggestions to buy best fenugreek seeds online.
Apart from the many health benefits, fenugreek can magically transform the taste of your vegetables, legumes and meat.
If you suffer from any of the health concerns we discussed here, then do give this natural remedy a try.
Fenugreek seeds has been used in treating many stomach related problems in the ancient study of Ayurveda and to date holds its own special place in the world of alternative natural therapy.