Pressed for time and not sure what to make? This super easy one dish spinach rice recipe comes together in 20 minutes and needs one pot and one blender. That’s It!!
The inspiration of this recipe came from the Indian spinach pulao also known as palak rice or palak pulao in Hindi. I added an extra dose of health by adding some mushrooms and spices. You may say that this recipe is essentially mushroom spinach rice.
Ingredients For Making Spinach Rice
This recipe has been made with leftover rice and given a completely new makeover.
Here is a quick list of ingredients you will need:
FRESH AND PANTRY ITEMS
⇒ Leftover rice
⇒ Spinach frozen or fresh
⇒ Onions or shallots
⇒ Salt to taste
⇒ Cumin seeds
⇒ Green chillies
⇒ Green cardamom
⇒ Cinnamon stick
How to Make Spinach Rice at Home a Step By Step Guide
Here is a easy step by step guide with pictures to help you make rice with spinach paste in 20 minutes.
In a blender add the spinach leaves, green chilies, cumin seeds and garlic and make into a coarse paste.
Heat oil in a pan and saute shallots or onions for 2- 4 minutes.
Add the coarsely blended spinach paste to the pan and saute with the onions for 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and continue to saute for another 5 minutes.
Once the mushrooms start to leave water add the rice and salt to taste and stir it in gently with the spinach until well mixed.
Squeeze some lemon juice to the rice as per your taste. Leave it in the pan for two-three minutes until excess moisture is evaporated and the rice is soft and warm but not dry.
Serve hot as a one-dish meal or with any accompaniment of choice or with raita.
FAQ’s and Cooking Tips
- Leftover rice is best for making this recipe, however you can use freshly boiled rice too. Just make sure the rice is cold (run freshly boiled rice through cold water, makes it less sticky too) before adding it to the spinach puree.
- Avoid making a smooth paste of spinach if you can. The coarseness gives the dish a nice texture. If kids do not like spinach bits in their mouth then there is no harm in making a smooth blend.
- Add leftover meat or prawns for added protein. Or serve on the side.
- Use healthy fat such as butter, ghee or olive oil for sauteing.
- If your fussy eater will not eat anything green, serve the rice with their favourite chicken nuggets or fish fingers.
- This rice dish has a slightly mushy consistency and not too dry. This makes it a brilliant dish to make if you have over cooked rice. Just be gentle in stirring it with the spinach paste in the pan.
Can I use frozen spinach for making palak rice ?
Yes, you can use frozen rice. I highly recommend defrosting it to room temperature before blending.
I do not like mushrooms, can I substitute it with other vegetables?
You could add any vegetables of your choice but I would stick to spinach as the core vegetable and mix other vegetables like peas, beans or even leeks to it.
Make the dish more vibrant and appetizing by adding red, yellow and orange vegetables like red pepper, sweetcorn and carrots.
Can any other spices other than cumin seeds be added to palak rice?
Some of the best spices for rice dishes are the whole aromatic spice. I highly recommend adding whole cinnamon sticks, green cardamom pods, star anise to this spinach mushroom rice dish in case you have any of these spices.
Why is spinach rice a complete healthy family meal?
Do your kids turn up their noses when they see anything green and its hard to get them to eat leafy greens?
This one-pot rice dish may just change that.
Spinach in this recipe is blended into a coarse paste, kids who do not like the slimy texture of spinach will not feel it at all.
Turn this green rice into a power-packed monster chasing punch on a plate…. and watch them devour it!!
And what does this power-packed punch of combining spinach with rice contain?
Well, let’s start….
- Spinach is rich in vitamin C & D, iron, folic acid and lots of fibre.
3. Rice has the required carb source that gives you energy and maintains a healthy body.
4. Rice and Spinach are Brilliant Pregnancy Food and Helps Cure Morning Sickness. Rice, is a complex carbohydrate which slowly releases energy into your bloodstream, helping to keep your appetite satisfied as well as easier to digest especially during the early and late pregnancy days.
Other easy rice recipes to try
I love rice and am painfully aware of its effect on the waistline.
To reduce my guilt and still enjoy one of the most eaten grains, I try to experiment with other variants too. Like this multi grain vegetable pulao.
One of my other favourite recipe which again is super easy to make is this Wildrice Rissoto with added broccoli and parmesan cheese.
Got any other rice recipe that you simply love? I don’t think I will ever get bored of more so please do leave a comment and share.