Give regular minced chicken patty recipe a flavourful Asian twist into a juicy, slightly spicy and aromatic Thai chicken mince patties.
This is purely an experimental dish, which turned out to be an instant hit with adults and children alike.
These moist easy chicken patties or mince kebabs made with ground chicken breast combined with subtle oriental flavours can be eaten as a burger filling, in a wrap, with plain buttered rice or just as an appetizer.
The ease of this dish is that you can easily combine all the ingredients together in a blender and grind it together into a course texture.
All that is then left for you to do is shape them into patties and shallow fry.
Ingredients For Chicken Mince Patties
A distinct flavour of this dish is the use of Kafir lime leaves popularly used in Thai cuisine.
The leaves impart a very fresh taste, reminiscing of a Thai chicken curry so I thought of naming the dish ‘Thai chicken patties’.
Apart from the kafir leaves, there is a combination of Southeast Asian flavours , like Japanese miso paste and Indian sweet mango chutney.
Making these minced chicken patty was fun due to the contrasting textures and tastes.
The bland taste and crunch of green papaya combined with the smoothness of minced chicken. Bringing the dish together was the sweetness of mango chutney, the heat from the chilies, the sourness of lemon juice, the nutty flavour of miso paste and the fresh aroma of kafir lime leaves.
Below is the snap shot of the ingredients I used:
⇒ Chicken breast
⇒ Raw papaya
⇒ Kafir lime leaves
⇒ Miso paste
⇒ Lemon juice
⇒ Green chillies
⇒ Salt to taste
⇒ Sesame oil or sunflower oil
⇒ Substitute for raw papaya – Papaya lends a crunch to the kebabs. You can omit it or add peanuts is you wish.
⇒ Substitute for mango chutney – With sweet chilli or omit completely.
⇒ Substitute for kafir lime – With lime rind and lime juice.
Stepwise Recipe With Images
Below is the step wise guide on how to make this Thai style homemade chicken patties:
Roughly chop raw papaya, chicken breast, ginger,kafir lime leaves and chillies . Then add miso paste, mango chutney, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and blend into a coarse paste.
Transfer the mince to a plate.
Heat oil in a pan.
Take a spoonful of the blended mince chicken mixture and drop it in hot oil and gently flatten it to form round flat patties shape and shallow fry. Turn over only after you notice one side turning opaque more than half way through.
Serve minced oriental style chicken kebab as a starter or with your chosen accompaniment to make a complete meal.
Cooking Tips & FAQ’s
- Do not over blend the ingredients into a paste. It should be slightly coarse in texture.
- Miso paste and mango chutney already have added salt so watch on the salt intake.
- Do not overheat the oil else the kebabs will burn.
- Turn the kebabs over only after you see 3/4 of each rounds has turned opaque.
- If for some reason the kebabs do not keep the shape and starts to break then add an egg to combine.
- Use boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can also use pre-minced chicken. Blend the other ingredients in a blender and add them to the minced chicken and give a good mix.
How to make juicy chicken breast patties?
To keep the chicken patties moist and juicy, avoid over blending then mix, pressing down the patties hard to flatte and flipping them to early and too often.
This will drain out the moisture from the chicken and make it dry.
How to prevent the patties from falling apart?
Some may find cooking chicken patties at home a challenge as there is not binding used to keep the mince together. The trick to prevent patties from disintegrating in the pan is to keep the simple tips below:
- Ensure that the oil is warm and not to too hot or too cold.
- Avoid handling the patties too much
- Do not press the burger patties down with a ladle
- If you still find it hard to keep the shape add an egg into the mixture.
What to serve chicken kebab with?
I had served this oriental style mince chicken patties or kebab as a starter.
But if you wish to turn this into a complete meal then here are few suggestion for you:
- Add salad to the side to make it into a low carb healthy chicken kebab meal.
- Serve with rice noodles sauteed with pakchoi.
- Turn them into a filling and add them to corn or whole meal tortilla wraps, pitta pockets or even buns. Add salad, sauces of your choice they are ready to be eaten.
These wraps are also a good finger food option and can be eaten both hot and cold.
That is what makes this minced chicken burgers a great lunch box meal.