This low carb veggie soup with a tangy, sweet and a hint of spicy and herby under tones is different to the classic vegetable soup you may be used to tasting.
It is something I came up intuitively when I bought a box of assorted coloured cauliflowers in yellow, green and purple.
Just the look of the colourful vegetables filled my heart with joy and I knew I had to do justice to the vibrant spring colours.
For this soup recipe, I chopped the cauliflowers into large chunky pieces as it showed the colours well and added my pre-blended homemade Mediterranean spice mix to add extra flavour and health.
A few dashes of the herby spicy mix changed the flavour of this chunky Mediterranean vegetable soup that was enjoyed by my whole family.
Ingredients For Making Vegetable Soup
The beauty of making a vegetable soup is that you can use an assortment of vegetables that are in season. For this recipe I used the following:
FRESH AND PANTRY INGREDIENTS
⇒ Assorted colourful cauliflowers
⇒ Cherry tomatoes
⇒ Lemon juice
⇒ Broth or stock cube
⇒ Avocado or olive oil
⇒ Mediterranean spice blend
Substitute for Mediterranean spice blend – If you do not have a Mediterranean spice blend use any type of herby spices blend of your choice.
How To Make Low Carb Vegetable Soup – Step with images
Chop your choice of low carb vegetables in chunky pieces, and grate or chop ginger and garlic.
Saute onions in avocado oil or your chosen health fat till translucent
Add grated ginger and garlic to onions and continue to saute for another 2 minutes.
Add the cauliflowers and diced carrots to the pan and saute for 4 minutes
Add diced cherry tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes become pulpy.
Add vegetable broth and the pre-blended Meditteranean spice mix to the pan. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still have a crunch.
To finish and balance taste add some lemon juice.
Serve hot chunky low-carb vegetable soup with Mediterranean flavour with your choice of side.
Cooking Tips and FAQ’s
- To make this soup low in calorie and low carb choose low-calorie vegetables such as cauliflower, sprouts, beans, asparagus, etc.
- This is a chunky soup so choose vegetables that can hold shape when boiled.
- The sauteing time for vegetables will depend on the type and cut of the vegetables used. Ensure you do not overcook the vegetables while sauteing.
- You can use normal plum tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.
- You can easily buy a Mediterranean spice mix or make a spice blend of oregano, garlic powder, paprika and add to the broth. 2- 3 teaspoon of this Tan Tan Moroccan seasoning will add a depth of flavour to not only this soup but many other dishes.
- If you do not have any broth use a stock cube instead. You can use vegetable, chicken or meat stock cube depending on your dietary preference.
- If you are using stock cube add 5 cups of water to 1 cube.
- Check the saltiness of the broth if using a stock cube. You may or may not need to add any extra salt.
What Low Carb Vegetables For Soup Can You Use?
I wanted to make the vegetable soup colourful and appealing to look at so I decided to keep the vegetables chunky.
You will agree that if a food looks good you know it will be accepted with more openness especially if you have tiny little critical food inspectors at home.
This vegetable soup looked like a comforting fresh spring in a bowl.
I was lucky to find an assortment of colourful cauliflowers in a pack and used them to make this low carb vegetable soup recipe.
- Yellow, white, violet and green cauliflowers ( all came in a little pack from the supermarket)
- Carrots, although not completely low in carb but I added few pieces to bring more colour and a hint of natural sweetness
- Cherry tomatoes as they are naturally sweet and I did not want to use any additional sweetener to balance the taste.
You do not have to use the same vegetables that I used.
There is a wide selection of low carb vegetables to put in vegetable soup.
Few options of low carb vegetables for soup that go well if following this vegetable soup recipe are:
- Green beans
- Bell pepper ( although it changes the taste a bit)
Note that the vegetables listed above can all be cut in large chunky bites.
A bowl of hearty chunky vegetable soup in a clear broth gives the soup a bit of drama.
Is Vegetable Soup Low Carb?
Depending on the type of vegetables, broth and other ingredients you use for making soup, it can either be a low-fat vegetable soup or a high-calorie dish.
If you stick to low carb vegetables such as mushroom, cauliflower, asparagus, cabbage, zucchini, broccoli and avoid cream, butter and fatty cheese for making soup then you have a vegetable soup low in calories.
Adding 2- 3 teaspoons of healthy Mediterranean spice blend makes this chunky low carb vegetable soup a delicious healthy hearty keto-friendly vegetable soup bowl.
How to Make Low Carb Veggie Soup Kids Friendly?
It is ok to go low carb for adults, but kids need a good balance of carb, protein and vegetables.
To make this a well-balanced meal for my kids, I served some garlic bread and edamame beans on the side to give them their carb and protein requirements.
You can also add some diced boiled potatoes to the soup before serving.
Or add legumes such as chickpeas, green peas, black beans, pinto beans for added protein.
A chunky vegetable soup has many flexibilities. All you need to do is think of ingredients that your family likes and add them to the recipe instead of following it ingredient wise.
This soup looks sooo comforting and satisfying!