The inspiration of this sundried tomato sandwich recipe came from a combination of avocado and caprese toast also known as caprese crostini served as an appetiser especially popular during the summer months.
A bit different to the regular cold sandwiches, this grilled sandwich makes a delicious easy lunch for one when stuck for ideas for quick easy lunches or done with eating salads, leftovers and cold sandwiches.
Warm grilled cheese sandwiches are my guilty pleasure when I am alone at home, they are so easy to make, comforting and perfect to sit down with a book, a cup of tea and making those crunchy munchy toasty noises as you bite into the melting cheese.
Making this vegetarian sun dried tomato sandwich just became a pleasure.
Ingredients For Grilled Sundried Tomato Sandwich
Below is the list of ingredients you will need for making this grilled homemade sandwich with options to substitute the ingredients with other in case you do not have one.
FRESH AND PANTRY ITEMS
- Mozzarella cheese
- Sundried tomatoes
- Chilli & herbs seasoning salt
- Fresh basil leaves
- Cooked chicken or turkey slices
- Substitute for sundried tomatoes – Use fresh cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes instead
- Substitute for chilli and herb salt – Use any Italian or Mediterranean seasoning or fresh basil leaves, chilli flakes with salt
Cooking Steps With Images
Below is a step by step method on how to make grilled cheese sandwich with sundried tomatoes and avocado at home.
Spread butter on both sides of each bread.
Add a layer of mozzarella and sprinkle with spicy herb salt on it.
Next add the sundried tomatoes and avocado slices on top of the cheese.
Top the sandwich with another buttered bread
Grill the sundried tomato and avocado toasted sandwich until it reaches the grill to your liking.
Serve warm sundried tomato sandwich with salad or eat on its own.
Watch The Video
Click the video for grilled mozzarella and sundried tomato sandwich recipe.
Cooking Tips And FAQ
- Grilling the sandwich – If you do not have a toaster grill then you can also grill the sandwich on a pan on medium heat.
- Spicy herb salt – Adding the spicy herb salt adds extra flavour to the bland avocado and cheese also cuts through the tanginess of the sundried tomatoes.
- Quantity of sundried tomatoes – Do not use a lot of sundried tomatoes. It can make the grilled sandwich a bit tart.
- Amount of butter – Spreading butter on the bread gives the sandwiches a crunchy texture. You can skip spreading in the inside if you wish.
What type of bread can be used to make sundried tomato grilled cheese sandwich?
I have used simple brown bread as that is what I had at home. I have also tried to make the same grilled sandwich with panini and ciabatta bread that they tasted as good.
I do not have chilli herbs seasoning salt what can I use instead of that?
The chilli salt seasoning is added for more flavour and reduce the tartness of the sundried tomatoes. You can use fresh or dried basil leaves, a pinch of salt and chilli flakes instead.
If you wish you can also omit the extra seasoning for making the sandwich.
You can easily buy herb spice mix salt online from The Spice House.
Or try making this Mediterranean spice blend at home.
Can I add chicken to make an avocado grilled chicken sandwich?
Yes, of course you can. This is a vegetarian grill sandwich recipe, you can add cooked pieces of chicken or turkey for added protein.
Can the grilled cheese sandwich be eaten cold or also taken as a picnic or kids lunch box sandwich?
This grilled sandwich is best eaten warm as the avocados can make the bread soggy. If you plan on making this sandwich for picnic or packed lunch then use a thicker bread such as a ciabatta or panini instead.
Make sure to cool the grilled tomato avocado sandwich to room temperature before packing. This will prevent the bread from becoming wet or make it without the avocado.