Natural therapy practices have found a correlation between fennel and breastfeeding. As per the ancient Ayurvedic practice it is believed that drinking fennel seed tea can stimulate milk production in lactating mothers amongst the many other benefits of fennel.
Fennel seeds also known as sauf in Hindi, is a popular spice used in Indian cuisine and other western cuisine. It is a cooling spice, so drinking fennel based drinks is beneficial to naturally cool your bodies from inside during hot summer days.
Fennel tea taste is liquorice with a sweet bitter undertone.
Follow this easy simple homemade fennel tea recipe to make a cup of refreshing and cleansing fennel tea at home:
Ingredients For Fennel Tea
It is so easy to make this herbal green tea with just 3 ingredients:
Here is what you will need:
- Fennel seeds
- Cardamom pods (Click here to read about them)
- Mint Leaves
- Lemon juice
How To Make Fennel Tea
Below are the 3 easy steps to make fennel tea with images.
Coarsely ground the spices in a mortar and pestle.
Add the spices to 2.5 cups of water in a pan and bring to boil.
Sieve the tea into a cup and serve hot.
Cooking Tips And FAQ’s
- You can skip adding any type of sweetener in the tea.
- You do not need to make a fine powder out of the fennel seeds, just coarsely ground it to release the oils.
- Add the spice and your chosen additional ingredient after the water becomes slightly warm.
- Let the spices be infused in water after taking it off from heat.
- If using honey as a sweetener then add it in the end after you sieve the fennel seeds tea.
What are the health benefits of fennel tea?
There have been many health claims associated with fennel tea or other fennel based beverages especially in traditional medicine.
Being a non-caffeinated drink, fennel tea is a perfect healthy alternative for those who cannot drink caffeinated drinks.
The uses of fennel seeds is both culinary and curative. Few of the known benefits, some of which are still under research while others have been accepted, especially for pregnant, new mums and lactating mothers are :
- One of the most popular known benefit is that fennel tea can help increase milk production in new moms.
- Helps in digestion, reduce heartburn and flatulence associated with pregnancy although care should be taken to limit consumption.
- It has diuretic properties, which can be beneficial to flush out toxins from the body after giving birth.
- Although not confirmed it is believed that breastfeeding moms who drink fennel seed tea can help bring relief to infants who suffer from colic as the tea can pass through the milk supply from the moms to babies.
- The calming refreshing smell of warm fennel tea can help relax muscles, unwind and help sleep better.
Are there any side effects of drinking fennel seed tea?
If you are a new mom, it is always advisable to check with your health practitioner before you start on any alternative therapy to rule out any allergic reactions or other side effects especially if you are under medication.
There are mixed opinions on the use of herbal teas like fennel tea during pregnancy so it is best to err caution.
What are other fennel tea flavour combinations?
The main ingredeints for making green fennel tea are the seeds and water and maybe some type of sweetener. You can easily combine other ingredients to make more exotic fennel drinks. Soem examples are:
- Fennel and crushed ginger
- Fresh mint leaves and fennel, you can also add some ginger to this combination if you wish.
- Cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds drink, this is classic grandma cooling antidote for digestive disorders.
- Fennel seeds, ginger and lemon juice
- Fenugreek and fennel seeds