There are many different ways to make homemade curry powder, no recipe is the same and no recipe wrong or right.
This is a basic curry powder recipe made by using simple spices easily available in the super market.
Although considered an Indian spice blend, curry powder is not really used in traditional Indian cuisine.
It is a convenient one mix solution to make a quintessential curry.
Ingredients Used to Make Curry Powder
There are no two belnds that have the same types and quantity of spices in it.
Each recipe differs from the other. What may be common is the typical ingredients that is used to make the blend.
A homemade DIY curry powder gives you the flexibility to adapt the taste as per your preference.
So if you prefer a mild curry powder blend you simply reduce the amount of chilli powder you use.
Here are some of the ingredients for curry powder:
- Cumin seeds (Click to read about benefits and uses)
- Coriander seeds (Click to read about benefits and uses)
- Black peppercorn (Click to read about benefits and uses)
- Mustard seeds (Click to read about the different types of mustard seeds and uses)
- Cinnamon Stick (Click to read about the types of cinnamon)
- Green Cardamon (Click to read about benefits and uses)
- Cloves (Click to read about benefits and uses)
- Turmeric powder (Click to read about benefits and uses)
- Chilli powder/ whole chillies
- Whole Bay Leaves (Click to read why is Indian bay leaf different)
Step By Step Method With Images
Follow these easy steps to make homemade Indian curry powder.
Heat a plat bottomed pan and dry roast the whole spices until fragrant and changes slightly in colour.
Remove from heat and let it cool down
Once cooled, transfer contents to a spice/coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.
Now add the powdered spices that is turmeric powder and chilli powder ( if not using whole chillies) to the roast, ground spices and mix the spices well together.
Store the spice blend in an airtight jar and keep away from sunlight.
Cooking Tips and FAQ’s
- When dry roasting the whole spices, start with the largest spice and work your way under.
- To ensure that the spices do not burn you can roast each spice one at a time.
- Adjust the amount of chilli powder to make a milder version of the curry powder mix.
What type of chilli is best for making curry powder at home?
I suggest using mild chillies like Kashmiri chilli powder. It is a mild type of chilli. Theother option is to use cayenne chilli.
For a hot curry powder blend you can use birds eye chilli powder.
How long does homemade curry powder last for?
If you are making a fresh batch of curry powder and you keep it well stored in an airtight container, DIY curry powder will remain fresh for upto 4 months.
What can I use curry powder in ?
This homemade Indian curry powder recipe is a very flexible and can be used to make a variety of dishes.
Add curry powder to meatballs, soups, stews, stir-fries, dips, marinates, fillings etc.
You do not need to limit yourself to cook only Indian curries with this blend.
I love making my own curry powder. Thanks
I like homemade curry powder any time than store bought ones. fresh and aromatic. your recipe is so good.
tasty indian curry spice mix
This is going to come in handy for when I run out of curry powder! Thanks for this! 🙂